Sunday, March 15, 2009

KidsFest

On Saturday Bullitt County held its annual KidsFest. I had been there once before a few years ago and walked around with my nieces and nephews. This year I had the opportunity to work in our booth for Bullitt County Public Schools. We featured our technology department this year which I am always proud to "show off!" Ha, ha!! Am I a little biased there, sure!!

Anyway, I was so proud of all of our schools who participated whether by being there to present student technology projects or by sending in videos of student technology work to display. We had one elementary school who had an interactive presentation on Digital Citizenship. The STLP (Student Technology Leadership Program) from Cedar Grove had forumlated questions and visitors to the booth were able to correctly answer them to win a Hershey bar. This got our word on Digital Citizenship out to the parents and kids of our community.

Maryville Elementary school had some wonderful Windows Movie Maker projects where the kids took on the character of an American Historical figure and told about their life and times. Mt. Washington Middle School and Nichols Elementary also sent in some wonderful videos of their morning broadcast programs as well as other STLP projects in their buildings.

The highlight of the day, though, I think was the presentation by our PE teacher from Bullitt Lick Middle school that highlighted her use of the Wii and Wii fit in her PE classes. Ms. "Y" as she is known has read all the research and has made the Wii and Wii fit a wonderful asset to her teaching. With FMD students it has been a wonderful way to help teach motor skills and eye hand coordination. It has also been a wonderful incentive for the regular ed students for attendance and academic performance.

I even was able to get in on the action with the Wii. Since we were protecting the equipment we did not allow the general public to play with the Wii we were using so my co-workers and I became the demonstrators yesterday. If you end up seeing pictures or video of me on the Wii fit board hula hooping, please don't laugh. Chalk it up as an "educational demonstration!" And hey, I got my workout in!

It was a nice day! Looking forward to getting together with my sister and cousins today.

Have a wonderful evening!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment