Monday, March 9, 2009

Grants, Grants, and More Grants

It's that time of the school year. Budget time and everyone scrambling to apply for the many grants that are out on the horizon. The one part of my job that I am weakest at as I assist, advise, and train teachers to integrate technology into instruction is that of grant writing. There are two grants that I have been in the midst of in the recent weeks. One is for my actual job position itself and the other is for one of our elementary schools to obtain some money to equip their classrooms with projectors and interactive white boards.

As I said, grant writing or writing in general is not my strong suit. I guess that's why I'm a technology teacher and not an English teacher, huh? As you read my blog postings I'm sure you can see that my writing skills are not of the polished sort! Anyway it has been a neat experience to be involved in this grant writing experience. The one we are writing to keep our job position funded is a federal grant called Enhancing Education Through Technology. A fraction of our salary is paid through these funds. I helped write it two years ago and my 2 colleagues and myself are applying again for a renewal. With all the budget cuts looming these are much needed funds for our school district.

The process of writing these grants is tedious as you have to word things just so answer many questions that often seem redundant. We submitted the small grant for the elementary school I mention this afternoon. That was a nice feeling of accomplishment.

In our jobs we all have our weak points. I definitely do admit that my writing skills are that for me. What are your weak areas in your job/career/life?

Have a wonderful evening!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment